Sunday, February 6, 2011

Superbowl Sunday

I came home from work today to a completely empty house... which is very unusual around these parts because when you live with 6 people there is bound to be someone around.

I heated up some leftover soup from the street church meal that our community makes and serves once a month (today was that day), got some water, buttered some bread, and sat. Alone. In the kitchen.
"I'm lonely" was my first thought... then I just absorbed the silence and thought "this is nice." Halfway through my bowl of soup I tuned on the Marie Antoinette soundtrack to keep me company, then felt guilty for not being able to sit in silence tonight.

While I do enjoy the occasional home alone times, living alone would make me a very sad and lonely lady. Especially in the winter when things feel sad as is.

Everyone is watching the super bowl, all the groceries stores have special displays, all the corporations have spent lots of money and time on the creation of clever commercials and I feel sickened over the thought that super bowl weekend is the one of the biggest human trafficking events in the U.S. Women (young women, minors) are being "shipped" down to Texas to meet the demand of all the men down there looking to purchase sex along with their football. Never mind that most of these men probably have children themselves, and are paying to have sex with another mans child. I hope that one day they will know the evil they have caused in seeking their own pleasure.

To my sisters being trafficked at this very minute, I am praying to our mother God for your rescue.

No comments: