Friday, December 7, 2007

Homelessness and the endless emotions...

I have recently been interested in homelessness. Most likely inspired from the beautiful souls I have been able to become friends with downtown Columbus. I have been looking for literature to get a better insight on the issue, in hopes to learn how to combat it, help it and not feed into it, all sorts of things I want to learn about it.

I started reading a book called "Under the Overpass" written by Mike Yankoski. I was really hesitant at first because it's the story of two college guys who decided to become homeless for a few months and their journey. What better way to learn about it than to become it huh? I was hesitatnt becuase I didn't know how much I would really learn about the issue.

I have learned a whole lot... especially about things I have not ever thought about... about how the dignity of a homeless person can so easily be destroyed...

Here is a little excerpt from the book... its a lesson this guy is learning that I learned my first day with my homeless friends... but he puts it into words so wonderfully...

"Sitting there with Sugar Man, I felt my carefull established definitions of a Christian crack and expand. Here was an admitted addict and user openly proclaiming Christ in his community and asking how he could serve us....

... What's worse? To not do dope or to not love your brother? Why do we kick drug users out of the church while quietly ignoring those who aren't dealing with other, equally destructive sins? Why do we reject the loving, self- sacrificing, giving, encouraging, Jesus- pursuing drug addict but recruit the clean, self interested, gossiping, loveless churchgoer?"

I know that exact feeling of cracking and expanding definitions of what a Christian is. I knew that feeling when I met a 15 year crack addict and HE talked to ME about the hunger and the thirst inside his soul for Jesus, and righteousness, and holiness. Talk about a destoryed definitions.

I'm bothered at the pressure to be
so
damn
perfect.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your new layout.

Anonymous said...

Read Ragamuffin Gospel before?

It'll do a number on you.